Sunday, May 18, 2008

Scary Things

Here are some scary things that have happened to me and other things that scare me:

1) While fishing with my Dad and brother, I was left by alone by the waters of Trout Creek to dry after I fell into the creek. My Dad went down stream to fish, my brother went upstream to fish. A rattlesnake made its den under the Boulder where I was drying off. It came out and circled the rock, rattling at me.

2) Being chased into the trees by a bull when hiking.

3) Being stranded in hip deep snow. Gail and I were mislead by a sign when cross country skiing. After skiing for nine hours or so, I was so exhausted we had to stop. It was dark, and we were wet and cold. We didn't know if we could get out alive until we got a fire started.

4) Four Wheeling trails that tilt to left or right side and drop steeply down a boulder filled slope. Sorry Wilbur, but I am not an engine kind of person and can't figure out when the darn thing will tip over and when I'm O.K.

5) Hospitals. For any reason.

6) As a kid, needing to call my parents to come and pick me up from the Marlowe Theater and having the pay phone eat my dime.

7) Seeing the bone in my knee cap after I skinned my knee badly while riding a bike.

8) Having two guys try to separate me from the people I was with while shopping in Tiajuana.

9) Having my brother who was nine years older than me scream like a maniac when my mother told him to get up in the morning. And then having Mom tell me to go upstairs and wake him up.

10) Having the car slide backwards down an icy slope when I was pregnant with Orville.

6 comments:

MT Missy said...

when did the tiajuana experience happen?

Unknown said...

Wow mom! Sounds pretty scary to me. Just think about how brave you are! You have faces all of those things and they have only made you braver and smarter. You're the coolest.

by the way, I think that was pretty mean of your mom to ask you to wake up your brother after he had just yelled at her. How was him waking up your problem?

The Silly Witch said...

When I was younger I was scared of lots of things. Now I'm not scared of many things. But I would be scared of waking up an ogre. I think I would also be scared if I was stranded when skiing in the middle of the winter without supplies. And four wheeling trails that tip to the left or right side and drop deeply down bloulder-filled slopes would be scary, too. But, I wouldn't go on them if they scared me because sometimes it's good sense to be scared.

Unknown said...

The Tiajuana experience happened in 1976 when I was visitng Aunt Bev in Oceanside, CA. We went shopping in Tiajuana, Mexico with a couple of her friend. I learned one things: there is nothing for sale in Tiajuana that I really want.

Unknown said...

Eglantine: I think my brother's problem waking up was that he was drinking, may also have had a drug problem at the time, and didn't care if he graduated high school or not so he didn't want to get up to go. What a waste of a 160 IQ.

Prudence said...

I was wondering about the Tijuana experience as well. When Turkey Legs goes to San Diego for work they aren't even allowed to go across the border. That tells me something about Tijuana! I agree, there is nothing in Tijuana that you really need!