Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mining Claim

Yesterday Dad and I went four wheeling to the mining claim where Grandpa R spent a lot of his childhood. We found the site of the house, barn, and garden. We also saw part of the entrance to the old drift mine my Dad referred to on the tape he made. We found a few "artifacts" like an old coffee can with holes cut into the bottom, tin, and parts of old logs where the barn had been. We should go on a picnic out there this summer. Wilbur could bring his metal detector and we could see if we could find anything else. Interestingly, some guys who were panning for gold also drove by while we were out there. I guess they must think there is still some gold. My grandfather found some, but over all my Dad's family was dirt poor.

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Sounds like an interesting field trip.

Unknown said...

I want to picnic! Just tell me when and i'll be there!

MT Missy said...

Oh, I would love to picnic there