Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Hiking Scratch Gravel

Today my friend Eloise and I hiked Scratch Gravel. A couple of years ago a local man published a book of hikes within twenty milers of here. His "hikes" do not necessarily include trailheads established by the National Forest or state. The book frequently uses old roads as routes, advises us to travel cross country, "choose" a route, and directs us to climb up hill tops and travel cross country. The names of many of the gulches and hills are names we never heard before. There are times I suspect the book's author is purposely trying to lower the area's populations by helping hikers get lost.

Today we tried a seven mile route. If we walked one step of the route we were trying to take, I would be surprised. It doesn't matter. We had a great time! We saw our old friends: the phlox were in full bloom and we saw our first Early Townsendia of the season. Max fully approved of our choice of activity.

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

It sounds like the man really knew this area well, but perhaps needed some help in describing the hikes. Oh well, sounds like you have enough imagination to make the best of it!

MT Missy said...

I saw Arrowleafed Balsam Root on the side of the road on my way back from Hot Springs this evening!!!

Unknown said...

I want to see plox! sounds like a great way to spend a day!