Sunday, September 23, 2012

No Thanks

Last week a friend offered to give me a vase worth over $1000.00.  Yes me.  In my entire life, I never thought I would have an opportunity to own a work of art that valuable.  It was an Italian vase of turquoise and white.  When I picked it up, it was exquisite, expensive, and breakable.

You know me, if I ever had an extra 1000 bucks it would go to retirement, an upgrade on my mountain bike. a new sewing machine,  ultimate rain gear for hiking, or something else that you use.  Imagine me with an Italian work of art in that price range!  I couldn't imagine it, so I declined her generous offer.

First of all, the vase  didn't correlate with the colors of my home.  Although for a few seconds, I did consider re-painting.  Second, in my wildest imagination, I can't see myself gifting to my friend anything of similar value since she seems to have little interest in my hiking, biking, or camping gear. Since giving up my firstborn child was not an option,  I was uncomfortable with feeling a sense of obligation for such an expensive gift. Thirdly, I really hate dusting. I try to keep ornaments to minimum for that reason.

Finally, how would I ever protect something as valuable as that?  Imagine the horror of brushing by an end table one day to see a vase worth over a thousand smackeroos fall to the floor and shatter into over a thousand glass shards?  What soothing remark could I make when one of my grandchildren's parents brought me the pieces of the thing in a garbage sack?  There is no doubt in my mind that a vase worth over a thousand bucks is just the kind of doodad that would attract the consistent, persevering attention of whichever grandchild happened to be two years old.   Without a doubt, a vase of this value would be my grandson's first pick as a container for nerf bullets.  Experience leads me to believe that my granddaughters would use it for hauling water to their pretend tea parties if they didn't decide to put their rubber bands, hair clips, and pretend make-up in it first.

Protection of such a valuable work of art is a problem too dicey for me too solve.  I would either have to rent a safety deposit box at the bank or forbid entry to anyone under 35.  Somehow, spending my extra time going to the bank to admire a beautiful vase seems burdensome.

Whew.  What a close call.  Someone almost gave me a vase worth over a $1000.00. 

5 comments:

Prudence said...

You must have been thinking of my kids when you wrote that!!!! It would probably be me who brushed against it and broke it! Thank you so much for not taking it! :)

Unknown said...

I don't think your kids would be any more likely to break something like that than any of my other GKs.

MT Missy said...

Wow! I would feel the burden of responsibility, too. :)

Unknown said...

Ya too much stress for something you have to dust! But it probably would' ve made an awesome nerf bullet container!

MT Missy said...

Hahaha! Lisa you're hilarious!