Thursday, January 23, 2014

Goodbye Max


Today I had to say goodbye to the best hiking partner I've ever had. He always had room for me in his schedule. He never complained on a hike, and he always wanted to go.


Max was either thirteen or fourteen.  I could never be sure of his age because I "adopted" him from the pound.  I had to pay his bail to adopt him.  Before I took him home, he was a regular at the pound.  After his former family had to pick him up from the pound four or five times, they left him there.  That's were I found him.  I saw him outside, taking air with the other dogs.  He pleaded with me to take him home.  I knew somehow that he was the dog for me, so I adopted him.

The pound workers were disgusted with his former family for not keeping him home.  After I had him for week, I couldn't be critical of the former family anymore.  Max was an escape artist. I think he had claustrophobia too because he hated a fence, a rope, or a closed room.  After being shut in my garden, a pretty good-sized area, he climbed out over the eight foot wire fence and walked down the wood pile.

Max was a favorite with the grandchildren.  I remember my granddaughter Stacy writing a letter to Max.  I didn't get a letter, but Max did.  I could trust him with my grandchildren.  He put up with loads of attention from children and babies, even when he was old.



 Max loved to run. He loved to be completely exhausted. I like to remember his first hike at Nary Time Gulch.  Talk about the joy of living, that was Max on that hike.  Afterwards, he jumped into the truck, dog-tired and happy.   During hikes, he would tear into the trees and across meadows, just for the joy of running and jumping.  Although, there were times when he came sprinting back to me, and I was seriously worried about what was chasing him.  And an encounter he had with a moose once, had me worried about my continued existence on the planet.

I distinctly remember twice when I was hiking and lost the trail.  He located it again for me. His finding the trail made the difference between turning back and continuing on.




Max loved children. He loved attention.  He loved the outdoors. He loved  going wherever we were going.  Goodbye, Max.  Until we meet again.


5 comments:

Evan said...

I remember when I saw Max for the first time. I was so excited to have a dog! I will miss Max, and Sophie is going to miss him too!

Unknown said...

Max was a great dog. He will
be missed. I loved watching him run alongside me while I would run.

Prudence said...

Many tears were shed by my older three when they found out Max died. He will be missed. Even Michael,who isn't a dog person, liked going for a run with him.

MT Missy said...

I know I've complained about him breathing on me in the backseat of the car, wiping slobber on my slacks, spreading ticks from him to me, and being an overall pain sometimes, but I will definitely miss all the fun he was, his sweet affection and attention, and I will remember fondly all the wonderful hikes and runs with him. He was a good sweet dog.

Montana Woman said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your hiking buddy. He was a lovely dog. Love from Lynn J.