Saturday, March 29, 2014

Broomfield: The Town No One Calls Home

A not very good picture of one of Broomfield work-type buildings
So here I am for my 4th day in Broomfield trying to find my way around.  I ditched my Denver area map in favor of the local chamber of commerce map.  The Denver area map had so many streets that finding anything was comparable to sifting through my flour bin in search of one granule of flour.

The chamber of commerce map asserts that Broomfield is a planned community.  I am beginning to think the plan was to push visiting drivers to the brink of insanity.  Either that or the community does NOT like to waste names.  As we are driving around, we encounter Interlocken Loop, Interlocken Parkway, Interlocken Cresecent, and Interlocken Boulevard.  There are several street  names used over and over with a different suffix attached.

Driving all these streets with the same first name coupled with the community plan of having streets loop and circle around each other reminds me of square dancing instead of driving.

Since we don't know the area, we find ourselves asking questions such as, "Do you know where there is a laundromat?"  etc.  Nine out of ten times the response is, "I am not from here.  I just work here.  I don't know."  So here we have Wal Mart employees, gas station attendants, business customers, but none of them are from Broomfield.  Here are some of my questions:  where do the people from Broomfield work, shop, and hide out?  Are babies born and raised in Broomfield, or is the common method to import people to inhabit  the town when they reach age 21?  After the imports move in here are they advised to shop in other cities?

In spite of my frustrations as a visitor without kith or kin to advise me, Broomfield is a clean, new, nice community.

3 comments:

Prudence said...

The streets are like that in lots of places. It's kind of annoying. In Lubbock we had to specify we were 85th PLACE, not STREET or DRIVE. Here we are Forest Lakes Drive, but there is also a Forest Lakes Ciricle and a Forest Lake (no S) Drive in VA Beach. The plumber was routed by his GPS to Va Beach instead of Chesapeake and was delayed about an hour. Poor guy! Just so you know the Air Force Academy is only 1 hour 16 minutes away. If you are bored maybe you could check it out and see if they have tours! Here's the link with the info:

http://www.usafa.edu/superintendent/pa/visitor-center.cfm?catname=Visiting%20USAFA

The Silly Witch said...

Delivering mail there must be terrible.

Unknown said...

How weird, I bet people used to this type of street naming think our towns have weird names. They probable think 11th Ave. S. is bizarre! :)