Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mystery in the Blood Lines

Maude Brodock Robertson with son Les Robertson

When I was a kid, I remember my Uncles Les talking to my Dad about a man who told Les he looked like an Indian.  Uncle Les was incensed.  At that time, people I knew here were ashamed of Native American (NA) heritage.  Later, in doing family history work, some relations from Oklahoma wrote to me about an ancestor on the Brodock line who was Indian.  They decided this because a common ancestor, Henry Brodock, had his picture taken in Indian garb and Henry's daughter, their grandmother, claimed NA heritage.  Another relation claims Henry's mother, Submitta (not one other thing known about her other than her name), was Indian and has the same picture of Henry in NA apparel.
David Brodock (known as "Jake." His posture in this pic is just like my brother Jack's posture
Some other evidence that supports the NA theory is that  many of the Brodocks, including my grandmother, had black eyes and black hair.  Other than the "say so" of distant relatives, that is all the evidence I have.
One of Grandma's sisters.  Several of the girls
were dark like this.

Dave Brodock
Trying to track down this heritage would have been so much easier if: 1) Relatives had admitted they  had NA ancestry and 2) DNA testing had been available in the 1950's and 1960's.  Now, all my Brodock relatives have died.  I might be a sissy, but tracking down a shirt-tail Brodock relation that I've never met and asking for a DNA sample sounds awkward at best.
Grandma - Maude Brodock

Because I'm curious, I had a male Robertson cousin test his DNA. The test revealed that the male Robertson line is Celtic and nothing else.  Before I figured out how the DNA testing worked, I had my son tested.  This test revealed that my husband and his father's Welsh ancestors have more similarities with the Vikings than any of the other nationalities.  Well, I guess those Vikings did give Great Britain a heck of a time during the middle ages.

I still want to confirm the NA line.  Family History strongly indicates that our line ties up with Bartholomew Brodock, (before the name was Americanized :it was Brod Hack) one of the first settlers in the Mohawk Valley in New York.  So, along with our Scotch, English, Irish, Welsh, Dutch, German, French, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish heritage, there might be a drop of NA thrown in.  Review the pics and tell me what you
think.
Janette "Nettie" Brodock - David Brodock's sister

Henry Brodock (Brodhack) David Brodock's father
Supposedly, Submitta, his mother, was NA.

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Hmmm. Henry Brodock definitely sports high, broad cheek bones and a long straight nose. Very attractive.

MT Missy said...

They certainly have the right coloring. And I agree with Maren, beautiful high cheek bones.

Anonymous said...

Chris and Kelly and I have talked about this a few times and love the thought of having NA ancestry. My mom and I have both been asked if we are Native American on multiple occasions. It would definitely be wonderful if we could prove whether or not we do have NA in our blood!

Anonymous said...

An Update on this! Chris brought this up a few days ago and mentioned Jaron has had genetic testing done and he has 0% Native American in him. He did however have 3% African American. I'm not sure if that helps narrow down the search at all but thought you would be interested...

Mr. Doug Gonzales said...

My name is Doug Gonzales...Henry and Bartholomew Brodock are grandfathers of mine as well. I come from the Waltari's and Lucy Brodock. I have been researching the Brodocks extensively over the last few years. I would say the odds are pretty good that Henry is half native. Given that it is common practice to put submittal on the census when it was a Native American woman. Also the fact that Henry's hair in the picture provides further evidence of native blood. The Brodocks and Starrings were German. If you have seen the picture of Henry's great uncle Heinrich Starring you can see the difference. Heinrich is the brother of Dorothea Staring...Henry's Grandma. Contact me if you would like to discuss further...