Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Family Brands

When it came to remembering facts and details, my Dad was a star.  He could tell the date, month, and year of about anything of at least minor importance that happened.  Once Dad reviewed the family brands with me.

Turns out, Dad remembered the details of the family brands with stunning accuracy too.  He told me my grandfather had a brand that was not good for branding horses.  For horses, the brand had to be put on the jaw, not a good place to brand a horse.  So my grandmother registered a brand in her name, the Lazy BK .  This brand was acceptable for horses because it could be used on the hip and not the jaw.

The following documents I stumbled across show my Dad remembered the facts about the family brands with his usual precision.  One of the documents below shows that Maude Robertson in 1904 registered the R6 brand, but for horses it had to be used on the jaw.

The next document is a Department of Livestock certificate to move livestock from one location to another.  Requiring livestock inspection to move stock still holds today within the state.  The horses being moved had the Lazy BK brand.  Dad, you were a champ when it came to details!

The R6 registered in 1904


4 comments:

Unknown said...

So cool mom! I wonder why he was taking the horses to Scoby?

Unknown said...

From his notebook I gather he was moving his family from Pompey's Pillar to West Fork (now Westby) to take up farming flax.

MT Missy said...

So neat! the Lazy BK looks like a little bug. :)

Unknown said...

I thought it looked like a bow.