Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Meanderings






















Tomorrow is Memorial Day. We have had some great Memorial Days.

I remember taking our 1968 boat out for the first time on Memorial Day. It was rainy and COLD! We drove the boat all over Canyon Ferry Lake and stopped on Cemetery Island where the girls put wildflowers on our pioneer ancestor’s graves.

I remember a M- Day when Wilbur taking my oldest daughter, Penelope, for a motorcycle ride on Saddle Mountain. Everything seemed fine until they came home and took off their motorcycle helmets. Hundreds off wood ticks had congregated in both Wilbur’s and Penelope’s helmet.

We performed wood tick experiments as we sent them down the drain. We discovered wood ticks congregate into a big ball and float. Amazingly, no one had a tick bore into him/her.

One M-Day we hiked the Water-main trail. The trail zigged back and forth following an old water main. The children were convinced we were going in circles. To them each part of the trail looked just like the last.

One rainy M-Day Penelope and Prudence, my two oldest daughters, talked me into forgoing the gardening in favor of a hike. Wilbur was working. The girls, Orville, Buster (the dog), and I started up the trail to Hanging Valley, but it didn’t take long until everyone had enough. They seemed to be more interested in the pop I bought.

Another cloudy M-Day we hiked into Humbug Spires. A hiking book recomended the trip. And I guess it was O.K. - if you like rocks.

Sometimes on M-Day we would have Grandma and Grandpa come over for potato salad, baked beans, and grilled hamburgers.

Memorial Day – good memories! Are you making some?

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Great post! I remember loading into Grandma and Grandpa's burnt orange station wagon on M-day and driving to York. I remember Grandpa telling us a little about his life.

I sure loved looking at those pictures, we sure had some fun Memorial Days didn't we?

Unknown said...

I have great memories of Memorial day. And I think hiking in a tradition I want to keep for Memorial day! Thanks for posting the pictures mom! They are so fun to look at! I actually remember Humbug Spires being one of my favorite hikes. The rocks were REALLY cool!

Love you!

Prudence said...

I think I was the one child who complained the most about hiking. I remember staying home sometimes because I didn't want to go. I thought it was boring! I know I was always glad when I did go though. Even though I complained I appreciate it now and this Memorial Day our family went hiking up Diamond Head Crater one last time before leaving. We made some really good memories as a family. Thanks for posting those pictures! Maybe we'll make hiking on Memorial Day a tradition too!