Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sid Robertson



Sidney Woodrow Robertson was born March 9, 1916 at Pompey’s Pillar, Montana. His parents, Maude Brodock Robertson and Oscar Duncan (Dunc) Robertson moved to Pompey’s Pillar to farm on a dairy farm. It seemed liked their small business was going reasonably well when three of their children fell ill: Robert Theodore (born 29 Aug 1912), Winifred Louisa (21 May 1914), and my Dad, Sid. My Mom always told me that Dunc thought the illness came from Dunc feeding the children beans off his plate. After looking through some old newspapers from Pompey’s Pillar that my grandmother saved, I wonder if diphtheria was the cause. The papers tell of a diphtheria epidemic so serious that the school was closed.
Whatever the cause, Robert died at 15 months old. Dad and Win nearly died. Before his illness, Dad said he had red hair. His hair all fell out and grew back in a dark brown color. I remember my Dad having dark brown hair and almost black eyes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow Mom, do you think his dark eyes were from being sick to? Do you think we get red hair from him? I love reading these stories.

Unknown said...

Oh No. I didn't mean to imply dark eyes were from being sick. Both of Dad's parents had dark brown, almost black, eyes.

MT Missy said...

This is so interesting. I love the pictures you posted, too...The post by kazahn is a stupid advertisement for a virus detector, if you want to deleted it.

The Silly Witch said...

Reading this makes me wonder if Quinn's hair will turn dark when he gets big. I LOVE learning about grandpa. I didn't realize he didn't get to play basketball. That makes me feel sad.