Sunday, March 30, 2008

More letters




This is a letter from my Grandmother to my Grandfather. I kept the original spelling and punctuation. She just turned 19 and he was 30. I have a packet of correspondence between the two of them for about a year. The correspondence ends abruptly and I understood from my Dad that there was a disagreement of some sort. O.D. went to Alaska with the gold rush for a while. When he came back, they patched things up and were married 20 Jan. 1904.

Envelope addressed to: Mr. O.D. Robertson York, Montana
Millegan, Montana

February 2, 1902

Mr. O.D. Robertson.

My Dear Duncan:-

Your loving letter came to hand last mail was so very, very glad to get it. I suppose you have been looking for one form me. The mail did not get in for over a week and I was so disappointed when they came back and said there was no mail.

It seems like a year since you left. I do wish time would pass more quickly. I am always thinking of you and thinking of the time when I can always be with you. Then I will be happy.

You seem to doubt my word but I will again say That, "I love you" and no other."

I would of liked to be with you to the ball. "Poor Boy" you must have been tiered after playing all night. [Grandpa played the violin at dances]
Lucy [ Maude's next oldest sister who married Fred Draker in 1899] is just teasing me and wanting to read what I am writing but I won't let her just the same. This is the first time they have been up since you left.

Who told you there was a dance at Harve's the 24th? There hasn't been a thing going on since you left. I have had an invitation to a dance in the Falls the fourteenth But do not think I will go as it is so cold and far and I am afraid there will be a Valentine for me. It will be at one of my sisters neighbors.

I will bet you have not been to see any of the Young Ladies up there. Ha! Ha! If I will believe anything you say....

Mittie [Maude's little sister who would have been 4] is all smiles now for she thinks she knows who I am writing to.

I hope you don't freeze this cold weather. I have been blessed with the tooth Ache this cold weather. Am awake every night for two or three hours with them.

I can tell you it is no welcome visitor here.

Mrs. H. Ellis was here all day and now Hattie's [Maude's younger sister who was 13 at this time. Hattie died in 1905 of diphteria, according to Dad] Ernest is here. We tease her so much about him she will hardly speak to him anymore.

I have been no place since you left but to Mrs. Kitchen's.
I would rather stay at home and build air castles of the future. You will not believe me but it is so.

To pass away the time I am piecing quilt blocks and sofa pillows. Here Lucy is again. She is as bad as ever.

I will close with lots of love and a big kiss from your loving little girl.

Maude
Goodbye and ans. soon




3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is amazing to me how she sounds like a typical young lady in love! What a treasure to own. I wonder if the emails I wrote to Adam when we were dating will be read by my great grand children? Interesting to think if anyway.

MT Missy said...

How sweet! What a fun letter to read and to appreciate. Its nice remembering our ancestors were young once, too.

The Silly Witch said...

That's great. She's just like any silly young lady trying to think of things to write.