Sunday, April 20, 2008

Accident at 629 3rd


When I was a really little kid, I remember seeing red scars all over my Dad's hands. My Mom and Dad told me the scars were from a fire in the basement. After my Dad died I found the above newspaper article among a collection of articles my Grandmother had cut out of the newspaper.
My Mom told the story of visiting my Dad at the hospital the day he was burned. She was understandably distraught. To add insult to injury, she slid in the snow backwards down a little ways down the hill at Rodney and Broadway. (She was coming from the old St. Johns Hospital.) A cop (I won't give him the dignity of being called a police officer) gave her a ticket. When she appeared before the Judge and explained the circumstances, the judge said, "Did so and so write you that ticket? (the name was Andersen or something like that) ." Well the judge's guess was right. When he learned the cop's name he threw the ticket out. The cop had a reputation with that judge. Mom and Dad were strapped for cash, so the dismissal of the ticket meant a lot to them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even remember seeing scars on his hands. It sounds like a terrible accident. What do you think ignited the gasoline?

Unknown said...

I have no idea what ignited the gasoline. It was a touchy subject when I was a kid, so I never asked. I also wonder why he had gasoline in the basement.

Prudence said...

It's interesting to learn more about grandma and grandpa. He must have been watched over by angels to get by without signicant scarring with an accident like that! I never knew anything about it!

The Silly Witch said...

Wow.