Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Absent Minded Skier

This week two friends and I went cross country skiing at a really great place about and hour and a half away. I had a great time! Oddly enough, I began loading my gear the day before so as not to forget anything. (I was letting Eloise and Charmain borrow ski equipment, so I was loading up two sets of ski equipment as well as two sets snow shoes –just in case the skiing was no good.) Instead, I forgot essential things. Naturally, I forgot my camera. I also left my hat and gloves 90 miles away in my car. On top of everything else, I had one ski from one pair of skis and another ski from another pair. Since the skis were the same brand, length, and binding type, I was O.K. Eloise had an extra hat and Charmaine had an extra pair of gloves. They bailed me out.

I keep thinking I will outgrow this absent–minded behavior. Maybe when I’m sixty I will turn over a new leaf. At that age, I will finally be responsible enough not to forget vital equipment when recreating. And, I will overcome my absent-minded tendency to misplace things. At age sixty, I am positive that I will hate chocolate, fat, meat, and sugar and develop a penchant for brussell sprouts. I know at age sixty I will develop a sterling character and no longer find gossip interesting. At age sixty, I will have the patience of a saint when Abbi Hanna brings a sack full of marbles to my Primary class.

Although I’ll be sixty, I won’t bore on about all my relatives and their ailments. I will never give unsolicited advice. I will enjoy wearing a dress and look forward to spending a sunny Saturday in June at a church Relief Society Conference. (Gag!) Because I’m sixty, I will find human foibles amusing instead of irritating. I won’t be offended at the relative who acts like a surly bear or the one who loves to portray me as an ignorant hick from the sticks. I won’t even get nervous when people in testimony meeting announce publically they have done something and need to see the Bishop. (This happened last week.) I’ll finally figure out how to keep everything in perspective. At age sixty, I convinced I’ll be perfect. Wow. Can’t wait to be sixty!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sixty sounds like a perfectly Golden time! I am glad you got to skiing! But I am glad to know that when you are 60 and skiing I will get to see pictures of the beautiful area you were at!

MT Missy said...

In that case, I can't wait 'til I'm sixty, too. I have all sorts of faults I want to overcome (I promise I won't announce them publicly at church:)) and if that's the age of miraculous change I'll just have to hang in until then! Ha...you're so funny.

The Silly Witch said...

Ah well, I enjoy you now. But I'm glad you aren't planning on getting crankier as you age.

Prudence said...

It's always good to have goals I guess! We all love you just the way you are though!