Sunday, September 06, 2009

Hiawatha

Saturday we visited Hermione and stayed the night at her place. The next day we rode the Hiawatha trail. This trail is an old railroad bed that has been converted into a bike trail. It is around 12 miles long. You can ride downhill and then take a shuttle to the top. Or you can ride your bike back up to the top. The trail has over ten tunnels and trestles that you ride through. You start in Montana and ride through a two mile tunnel. When you come out of the tunnel, you are in Idaho. The first tunnel is wet! Notice the mud these two anonymous bikers managed to pick up.


There is always light at the end of the tunnel. In 1910 there was a terrible fire in the area with hurricane speed winds. Over 80 people died in the fire. Trains loaded up people and waited in the tunnels as the fires burned around them. Survival under those conditions was still a matter of chance, or Providence, since fires use so much oxygen, there is no guarantee hiding out somewhere will save you. Maybe the hurricane speed winds contributed to saving those folks.Below is one of the trestles we rode over. They span creeks. I like trestles way more than tunnels.


Wilbur and Hermione going over a trestle.







Two miles from the end of the trail I got a flat tire. This man helped me. He was prepared with patches and air pump. I appreciated his help so much. Walking my bike for a couple of miles would not have been fun. The patch held until I reached the trail end and then my tire went flat again. Whew!




The Hiawatha trail runs miles and miles more west to Coeur D' laine. The trail is being extended 13 miles east into St. Regis. I can't wait to ride that part of it. When I do, I will have a repair kit and pump with me. Have a good week everyone!

4 comments:

MT Missy said...

I had such a good time, I'll come along when the St. Regis portion is completed, too!

Prudence said...

What fun! I bet my oldest could almost do this whole bike ride. She's done 9 miles around the whole base with her dad running with minimual help and even some hills! I'm jealous you all get to spend time together!!!

Unknown said...

Wow! The tressels look scarier than the tunnels to me! It looks like a fun ride!

Unknown said...

I know Sparkle could do this. There were kids her age riding bikes and younger kids being pulled in bike trailers.