Sunday, April 28, 2013

On Giving Service

Today we had a discussion in Sunday school on sharing our goods and helping others. Per usual, we had the same old comments stating that we should give money to panhandlers.  If the panhandlers use the money for booze or drugs, then they are the people sinning. We can have a clean conscience knowing we were charitable.  We also had the same old comments about not judging.

Probably I make Scrooge look like chairman of the Red Cross, but earlier in the lesson we read a scripture about stewardship.  I thought we were stewards over the property we acquire.  So if we are wise stewards, we give our money to anyone who asks without using our brains or having any information about the situation we are attempting to improve with cash?  I kept my mouth shut for as long as I could, and then noted aloud that we were operating under the assumption that giving people things was helping them.  I'm not sure that we always are helping them.

I'm not convinced that to buzz over and clean an able bodied person's filthy house anytime the person requests free maid service is a wonderful act for them or us.  I question whether encouraging panhandling by passing out cash is really helping the panhandler or the community.  I especially question this knowing that panhandlers often conduct this activity while working for a panhandler "pimp," so to speak, who gets a large percentage of the earnings.  Someone once told me that God gave us our brains for a reason.  He gave us our hearts for a reason too.  We need both of these assets. I believe we are stewards over the material things we have been given. I know we need to be kind, share, and serve.  But I wonder if our mindless, inappropriate help will be judged any better that our selfish withholding of our material goods.

2 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

I'm with you mom. I'm surprised that you guys didn't discuss giving food to people.

I've noticed that begging is a profession around here. In one area where I shop people have taken to holding babies while standing at the corner, begging. They are usually well-dressed, so I can only assume they make a pretty good living that way.

MT Missy said...

Well put. I agree with you whole heartedly, and when those niggling little voices peep into my head saying I ought to be more compassionate, I remind myself of my tithes and fast offerings and other areas where I donate and serve. I hope to be a compassionate steward over what the Lord has given me.