Sunday, September 07, 2014

Comment on Mysteries


This is a follow up to my post on mysteries in the bloodlines.  I received a comment from Mr. Doug Gonzales that provided valuable information about Henry Brodhack.  His information coupled with logic pointed to Henry being at  least half Native American.   Doug, I would love to get a hold of you, but I am not sure how to do it.  If you are on Ancestry.com, you could send me a message there.  This blog might also have a way to send me a message.

I am truly puzzled to learn that, a nephew tested 3% African American.  We did have ancestors who were slave holders from the South.  I can add the information that I had one of my male cousins DNA tested to determine if the Robertson line might have Native American blood. The Robertsons are pure Celts.

From the BYU testing , I learned that the most accurate way to test would be to find a woman whose mother was a Brodock and follow the mitochondrial DNA back through the female line. This procedure should determine if Submitta was Indian.  If we found a male with the Brodock surname  followed the male DNA back well....I'm getting in over my head, not to mention confused.

I learned from BYU-TV that not all DNA testing is equal... by a long shot.  I have a friend who knows her grandmother was Cherokee.  Ancestry.com DNA testing concluded she had a percentage of something that was not WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant), but the test couldn't pin down what that percentage was.

In the meantime, who wants to be tested next?




O.A. Robertson - the Celt line

Rose Byrd - the English line, but there are rumors about an Indian Agent in the family



The Millers - Scotch and Danish and Norwegian

The puzzling Brodocks:  Left to right Charles, Henry (sitting), and friend.   Most of the girls were dark but two out of three boys were blondes like their mother.







Miller girls- more Scots, Danes and Norwegians.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Me! I want to be tested! I don't think we've tested a red-head yet!:)

The Silly Witch said...

Sign me up! This is so cool!

MT Missy said...

This is so interesting! I'm willing to be tested. Whenever I look at that last picture I just can't help thinking about how some of those women look like Aunt Colleen!

Prudence said...

I don't mind being tested. It's pretty neat you can even test DNA like that!