Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Native American Blood Could Be a Myth

On Dad's side of the family, there is an abundance of  very dark eyed and dark haired people.  We have had various rumors from distant family connections that there is Native American blood in the family.  One picture of an ancester looks very Native American. Out of curiosity I had my cousin tested only to find the Robertsons are pure Celts.

Taking another stab in the dark, we tested my female cousin's DNA Line.  The mt DNA tests the mother's, mother's, mother's....  Well, this time we ended up in France (14.56%of the population belonging to the haplotype) and Austria (12.6%), with Italy coming in third (10.6%) .  Check out Maine et Loire - Maine-Anjou (14.56%), France - Herault - Languedoc, France (14.13%).   I thought this line was German and Dutch. Curioser and Curioser.

As for French blood,  my Dad always said we have French in the family.  I have never run into it yet in any of my genealogical research. And I'm not so sure I want to be French. Not a nation I admire. Sorry.  If an ancestor was French, at least she had sense enough to get out of there at least by the 1700s.

The mystery still exists.  It remains only to check out a male with the Brodock surname.  Unforunately there are none living left in our immediate branch of the family. Even checking out a Brodock might not work out if a Brodock married a Native American woman.  The YDNA finds out the father's, father's father...  In this test, it would miss any women with Native American blood.  We would have to find a female descendent whose mother was a Brodock to find an NA woman in the mix.  Did I mention I am getting a headache? 

Anybody have any more ideas?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That is very complex!! But so very interesting. I think you're brilliant to sort through it all.

The Silly Witch said...

That is very complicated. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with your side of the family to have any bright ideas. DNA research is interesting! And I love the French people I've known, so I would be ashamed of that particular finding.

Unknown said...

Do you have your Brodock family tree posted online or somewhere we could compare to see where we are related? My dad is a Brodock and recently at a Family Gathering this summer, my youngest sister and I were talking and she said my Grandmother (Brodock only by marriage) used to say my Grandfather (who died before we were born) had a lot of Native American on his side of the family. Since I have been gathering info to write a family history book she asked me about it. I'm only on the "Male" side of the family and the Native American line was from a "Mother."

I found your post by searching for Brodock Native American.