Sunday, November 16, 2008

Winter Harvest Soup

This makes a ton. I half the recipe.

3 medium carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 medium onion
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon butter
1 table spoon olive oil
7 cups chicken broth
3 cups cubes peeled potatoes
2 cups butternut squash ( I used hubbard squash - the kind they cut into large hunks a wrap for you in the store)
2 large tart apples (I used gala, and they were fine)
2 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large pot, cut the carrots, celery, anions, and garlic in oil until tender.
Add the broth, potatoes, squash apples, turnips, parsnips, bay leaf and spices. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf so nobody chokes on it. Garnish with green onions.

2 comments:

MT Missy said...

Oh, this sounds delicious! I'm going to make it this week. I've been in a soup mood all weekend.

Prudence said...

This looks so yummy. I've been making soup a lot lately!