Sunday, September 05, 2010

The Line

TV has finally crossed the line. Last night I watched an episode of Psych on USA, a program I enjoy watching for the laughs. In last night's episode a character in the show swore, saying the word “Christ.” I won’t be watching Psych again. Period. I haven’t watched NBC, ABC, or CBS for years. In my youth, during the Cretaceous Period, these were only three networks available. These networks plotted a determined march to the sewer decades ago. Their gradual but steady normalization of casual, perverted sex, crudity, filthy language, blood, and violence left me queasy, so I pulled the plug on the big three networks. Now it seems that USA has joined the lemmings' marching to the latrine.

Every year or two, the networks introduce a few more filthy words and deeds. Apparently, networks can’t introduce too much of their repulsive agenda to their viewers too quickly. Like an offensive odor, the networks’ introduction of the crude,vulgar, and violent starts with a small whiff. As the viewing public becomes accustomed to the stink, the entertainment industry imperceptibly adds more and more filth to its programs. The stench increases so gradually that many people don’t realized how disgusting it has become. In the past couple of years, USA introduced “ass” to the mainstream viewer. I guess using the Savior’s title as a curse is this year’s step further into the septic tank. I predict the f-bomb will be introduced within the next couple of years and Heaven, or maybe Hell, only knows where TV will go from there. I won’t know because I won’t be watching.

I see clearly what the entertainment industry is doing. What puzzles me is WHY it does it. I’m fairly certain there is no positive correlation between how crude, crass, violent and disgusting a program is and its rating. WHY is the entertainment industry so determined to pursue its repulsive course? Here are two of my thoughts on the reasons:

1) The entertainment industry is so full of filthy acting scumbags and low-lifes that it believes it is portraying the ordinary world.

2) The industry wants to sink the nation to its level. I’ve noticed slime-balls feel much more justified in their behavior the more they can get others to participate in the behavior too.

***NOTE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY****

Most people in this country are relatively decent. I know this fact is disappointing for you, and you are working on changing it. If you succeed, the results will not be as fortuitous for you as you think. Have fun swimming in the cess pool. See where it gets you and your families. I’m grabbing some good old homemade soap, a clean towel that was dried in the sun on my clothesline, and hitting the showers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It totally stinks that they have to add that junk. Nothing is added only lost by vulgar word choices.

Prudence said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Silly Witch said...

I just stopped watching Psych, too, but for different reasons. The show clearly was not going anywhere. I've watched Psych off and on for a couple of years and have determined that Shaun will never grow up. It's disgusting really that a character so shallow and flat would succeed on network television.

I can handle programs that address issues of sex, rape, murder, etc. But I can't handle shows that present it as normal. I also don't like programs where people get away with lying, where revenge works, or where the characters don't have interesting reasons for the choices that they make, etc.

I think we'll be watching the Discovery channel, PBS, and Food Network.

MT Missy said...

I stopped watching Psych, too. It was getting too monotonous, I'm glad I missed their great slide into the muck. You are absolutely right!