Sunday, December 30, 2007

My Son: Friend of Dust Mites

Orville has taken off for a visit with Eglantine. After a short visit, he is resuming his college career after a two year hiatus for a church mission. So, he cleared all his stuff out of his room. I glanced into Orville's bare room and found a dust mite preserve. I could write my name, or maybe even write a book in the dust in that room. Evidently, Orville has taken my frequent statements that cleaning a room INCLUDES dusting as strictly advisory.

I am baffled as to why wiping a dust rag once a week over a bedside table, dresser, and tops of woodwork and heat register is such an arduous task. Possibly, Orville does not see the task as difficult, merely unnecessary? Or could he be a closet member of PETA and has deeply held beliefs dust mites have a right to live without persecution from human beings? Is there a here-to-fore unresearched link between the Y chromosome and an affinity for dust?

Perhaps some masters degree candidate will decide to research these questions. Until then, I am considering sending the Kirby Vacuum sales staff my son's address. I have this vision of the Kirby sales person's matress vacuuming demonstration. As the demonstration ends, I am sure the sales person would inform my son and roommates that their mattress lint is disgusting. The young men would look at the sale person in a puzzled manner and say, "Yeah. So?" That would be entertainment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny mom! But I wouldn't the Kirby Sales man on anyone, not even someonewho is a "friend to dust mites!" Love you!

The Silly Witch said...

Dirt is my friend.