Sunday, June 01, 2008

Men at Work




Bilateral carpal tunnel surgery has the men doing extra work around here. Wilbur and Orville have both been doing the cooking and dish washing. Some of specialties at Cafe de Wilbur and Orville are: Cattle Drive Chili, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. They are threatening pizza for Monday. My hiking partner Eloise happens to be a great cook. She brought in dinner on Friday, bless her. I have been told to use my hands as much as I feel comfortable using them, but to keep my bandages clean. That reminds me of a tune my Dad used to sing, "Yes you may go swimming, my dear. But don't go near the water...." Cooking, cleaning, and eating are not conducive to clean hands or bandages, but I am being as careful as I can.
I am supposed to keep my hands raised to reduce swelling. Something about raised hands brings out the cowboys and Indians mentality in men.

Orville shopped for and wrapped the wedding present for Jill Alsbury's wedding reception. He even remembered to buy a card. I would have never thought of purchasing a surge protector and a small weather station as a wedding present. At least Jill and spouse shouldn't have duplicates on those gifts. Ever mindul of my reputation, Orville added the following disclaimer to the card, "present wrapped by Orville."

5 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

That is a great post. I'm proud of you for going through with the surgery mom, and I hope you heal fast. I loved those pictures, and Dad's gift cracked me up. Man I loved growing up in this family.

Unknown said...

Wow! life is interesting around your house. Next time I want to see Orville smiling while he cooks. Adam says that wedding gift is an awesome idea! Love you!

Prudence said...

I'm out of loop. When did you have surgery?! I hope you heal fast and that your hands will get better and be back to normal! I didn't even know Jill was getting married! Congrats to her. Being this far away really puts me out of the loop . . .I just can't keep up!

MT Missy said...

Hurray for help!

MT Missy said...

Mom, it looks like you're doing sun salutations in that one photo!