Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Deck Builder's Assistant







About a month ago, Wilbur and I decided to stain our redwood deck. This resolution lasted about 2 hours. After the first fifteen minutes stripping the old stain off, we both agreed we would rather have the Trex no maintenance deck. Trex looks like wood, but is made from recycled milk jugs and saw dust. By 2:00 that Saturday, Wilbur had two material bids from two different hardware stores. By the next week, he had all the material delivered from a third material supplier that had the best service and price.

In talking the new design over, Wilbur and I decided the adrenalin rush of seeing our grandkids stand on our current deck's built-in bench and lean over the railing could have serious implications for our cardiac health. If we decide we need more adrenalin, Wilbur can hide in the closet and jump out at me, shouting "BOO!" So, the bench is going, with some dismay, though, because I like to sit there and read magazines. Maybe we will replace it with a bench swing that can be moved.

Almost every night after work, Wilbur the deck builder removes a couple of old boards and adds a couple of new ones. As assistant, my job is to dig putty out of that nail holes of the old boards so Wilbur can unscrew them. One of my other jobs is to brace new boards with my feet as Wilbur pounds them into the new invisible fasteners. I also load the fastener holder, called a tiger claw, with fasteners so Wilbur can pound the fasteners in. All in all, I have my uses, not many uses, but a few. We are both looking forward to a new deck!

3 comments:

MT Missy said...

I will miss the bench, too, but I would miss you both more if you were to drop dead of a heart attack!

The Silly Witch said...

The deck looks like it's going to be beautiful. And I will miss the bench, too. But I will not miss the bench combined with 2 year-olds. It is scary.

Unknown said...

Cool Mom! It looks like wood to me. I bet it will be gentler on bare feet too. I think you are probably more helpful than you give yourself credit for.