Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Today Wilbur and I trotted down to the nursery to get plants to adorn his rock collection.  Next, we went to the Memorial Day Parade and ceremony in East Helena.  Then I went to the Veteran's Cemetery to put lilacs on my parents' graves. I kicked myself for not bringing a camera.  The Veteran's cemetery was an awesome sight with American flags on every grave.

 After I visited the Veteran's Cemetery, I went to Forestvale Cemetery to decorate my grandparent's graves. Joe Spoja's grave is behind my grandparent's grave.  Joe is my brother-in-law who died when his Coast Guard helicopter was knocked out of the sky by a huge wave as the crew tried to rescue a man from a fishing boat in the middle of a terrific storm.  Someone had taken the time to walk the entire cemetery and put flags on all the veteran's graves.  That must have been time consuming, so bless whoever took the time to do it.

When I was a child, my Dad, younger sister and I would pick lilacs and bring them to our family member's graves at Forestvale.  I really missed my Dad today.

4 comments:

MT Missy said...

For Memorial Day, I worked, but after I finished up, I decided to drive through one of the local cemetaries and it was a nice chance to contemplate those who gave so much, that I might live. I remember going through the Veteran's cemetary with you when I was little, and placing flags on each grave.!

The Silly Witch said...

I missed your Dad, too, and Uncle Joe.

Unknown said...

Me too. I brought lilacs to the sunbeam class on Sunday and they loved them. I am sure grandma and grandpa loved them too!

Prudence said...

I remember visiting Grandpa's grave one memorial and really missing him that day. I still miss him and I'm glad you are able to visit on Memorial Day.